The Divine Language Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Divine Language Forum

A place to meet, ask questions, offer ideas or simply chat about the Fifth Element and the Divine Language.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Script, Film and Book Discrepancies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 7:00 am

Impressive collection! Those little porcelain figures are incredibly rare, you're lucky to have them.
Back to top Go down
Heather

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi Tobi! Hi Kim!

I have pics in my photobucket account too from my book.

last I checked with the ISBN number someone had the book for sale at around $200. Mint condition copies can go for $600.

Fifth Element Book scans and collection

The ISBN for the book is: 1 85286 863 5
The ublisher is Titan Books
Back to top Go down
Von Bach

Von Bach

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:31 pm

Kadajiroth wrote:
It was a hard book to find, everywhere I looked people were selling it for over $200 because of its rarity. Luckily I found someone who was selling it for $6, housed in the VHS and Collector's Edition box. Probably the best bargain I've ever got, haha.

Hi!

Can u post any pics from the book & VHS Collector´s Ed. box? Pls Smile

And if I dont ask too much, can I get:

Label..................
Catalog #............
Country...............
Packing...............

Many Many Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kim

PostSubject: Amusing Phrases   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 7:08 pm

*lol* I like that usage. Everyone was teasing me about the MULTIPASS phrase.

I also found myself quoted Korben after he woke up and the phone rang and the cat was meowing. "Yes?!"
Back to top Go down
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Tell me about it. I think The Fifth Element was Luc's best film, easily, and there is hardly any behind-the-scenes info out there. I suppose there isn't many die-hard fans left out there to warrant him releasing the full dictionary and script, as much as I'd love him/Milla to. It saddens me that T5E isn't discussed as much anymore, but I like it how it's a film that almost everyone has seen, so everyone can recognise quotes (I shout "Aziz, light!" to my friends when asking them to turn on light switches often).
Back to top Go down
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:59 pm

I really wish, Luc and Milla would just email you the real dictionary and script. You do realize that the only script of the movie is a draft script and was finished in May 1995. They revised the entire thing.

I'm pissed at the thought we cannot find the real one and haven't gotten the entire dictionary printed and published for viewing.

I know celebrities cannot always be everywhere or do everything or anything for us people (enthusiasts) but still, I wish we could have had more then just what we got stuck with today.

Doesn't it make you wonder why and how the phrase, "Meloloy-re takhtad . . ." was created without it being listed in the book (The Story of The Fifth Element)?

lol I remember Army of Darkness. ("Gimme some sugar baby!" <main character> You SHALL DIE! You shall never see the light of day! <witch>)

When I saw the phrase indicating this movie and didn't recognize it, it was sticking out to me also.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Thanks!   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 8:24 am

This is great - I can't thank you enough! Razz
Back to top Go down
https://thedivinelanguage.rpg-board.net
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 6:35 am

Here you go:

First page: https://2img.net/h/i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/Kadajiroth_Tam/t5e1.jpg

Second page: https://2img.net/h/i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/Kadajiroth_Tam/t5e2.jpg

Apologies for the cut-off words and definitions. It wasn't easy because the scanner surface wasn't big enough for the page, and it was difficult to not damage the book while scanning. I've compiled the list of the words cut off:

D -- (bottom left of first page)

Danko-demon - Devil
Dindo - Into
Din - In
Deno - You, they

K -- (bottom right of first page)

Kessetoun - That's all, it's over
Kicketenan - Strong, powerful
Kilen poulana - look for someone
Kital kitoz - To the left, to the right

K -- (continued, top right of second page)

Kit sossian-devet-desset - Take care of yourself
Komo - To go

P -- (top right of second page)

Podo antila-galine - Power

I hope the information is easy enough to gather for you, if you need me to explain anything further, just give me a shout.
Back to top Go down
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 9:00 am

Not a problem. It's two pages, but the pages are wider than regular books. I'll get them scanned up for you tomorrow morning and send them off shortly after.

It was a hard book to find, everywhere I looked people were selling it for over $200 because of its rarity. Luckily I found someone who was selling it for $6, housed in the VHS and Collector's Edition box. Probably the best bargain I've ever got, haha.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Would be a tremendous help...   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 1:01 am

Oh, you have that book!!! I've been trying to get my hands on it for months, but can't find it anywhere! Oh, wow - if you could scan the dictionary that's in it and email it to me, I'd be eternally grateful! (I think it's only a couple pages, isn't it?) I'm not sure how much it'll help, 'cause I've heard from a few sources that it's not very consistent with the script or movie, but if possible, I really would rather stay as true to the original dictionary as I can, for obvious reasons. That would be SO great - I can't tell you how much I would appreciate you sharing that with me! Thanks SO much for offering. What a Face

I've been spending every spare moment over the past couple weeks building a grammatical reference from my existing dictionary, and in doing so, I've actually come up with about 400 more words - that's more than double what I've already got!! Of course, they're really all the same words, just different tenses, plurals and declensions, but I think that they'll help to make the language more practical. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to actually add them all to the online dictionary or the database - that sounds WAY too much like work. Instead, I'm putting together some quick and relatively painless explanations, as well as some reference tables that I'll post on the site. And, of course, it's all building up to be a full reference text that I'm day-dreaming about publishing one day. (I'm already published, actually - poetry is my usual genre, though).

So, any help you can offer is welcome, and I always try to give credit where it's due for any contributions I get from my fellow fans!

Thanks so much, Kadajiroth - I look forward to hearing more from you!

Lakto,

K.
Back to top Go down
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 8:37 pm

I have the book "The Story of the Fifth Element" with the collector's edition of The Fifth Element VHS on hand if you need any scans or information and such. I thought the book might come in handy sooner or later.

Great work on all the translations.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: A rather funny finding...   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 9:41 am

So I have 2 more phrases to translate from the book by Terry Bisson that don't appear in either the script or the film (if they do appear in the film, Leeloo can't be clearly heard or understood), both of which are Leeloo speaking to Korben during the car chase after she falls into the cab. They are: "Klaatu barata nikto." and "Maica lota muni." So I'm plugging away in Babylon looking up words, but I keep getting this twinge of recognition from the first phrase, which makes no sense, because I'm sure I hadn't heard it in the film. Specifically the word 'nikto' keeps ringing SO familiar that it's driving me a little nuts. And then it occurs to me - 'Army of Darkness'!!! It's the exact phrase that Bruce Campbell's character had to recite to retrieve the Necronomicon! (original spelling was Klaatu barada nikto). How the hell did I miss that? LOL! And while I don't yet have a translation for it, I found it hilarious that Terry Bisson slipped it into the book - I wondered if it was some kind of inside joke or something. So I did some digging on it and found that it's actually "one of the most famous commands in science fiction" and "the most famous phrase ever spoken by an extraterrestrial.", and can be found in such works as it's original use in the 1951 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still", a few books titled "The Armageddon Rag" by George RR Martin, "Fairyland" by Paul J. McAuley, "Mothership" by John Brosnan, Jim Rage's "Elite Zombie Hunting Manual", in some plays - "The Foreigner" by Larry Shue, "All in the Timing" by David Ives, (where it's implied to mean "You're not bothering me at all!"). It appears in comic books, music, video games and even on Firefox as the title of the page about:robots, and, of course, makes numerous appearances in film and television! Click HERE for more information.

Having said all that, I feel pretty stupid that I didn't recognize it sooner!! LOL!

Oh well, hopefully this minor revelation will shed some light on it's translation, hey? Razz

K.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 9:27 am

I've been faced with making a decision recently on how I approach my translations. I've delved deeper into the similarities and differences between the Divine dialog from the film, script and book, and while some is bang-on with Luc Besson's original script, some is drastically different. The differences in spelling I'm not as concerned with at this point, but there have been some obvious differences in meaning and context as well, and that's what concerns me. I still can't get my hands on Luc's original dictionary in his book "The Story of Fifth Element", but I've reason to believe that most, if not all, of the dictionary posted here was based upon just that. Which is great, except that I've already found some translation discrepancies from this source, and that would mean that I'm refuting the original Luc Besson dictionary, which I obviously don't want to do. However, I've also found forum posts on the subject from folks who've seen Besson's dictionary, who state that there is little consistency between the script, film, book AND the dictionary, which almost sets my mind at ease that I have a little more room to move with my own translations. (For what it's worth, I ALWAYS try to base my research on pre-existing information, with perhaps just a bit of my own conjecture thrown in).

I think it's troubling me now, because my primary research is complete, and I'm now working on expanding upon the root dictionary further by developing the actual parts of speech (nouns, verbs, verb tense, adjectives, etc.), which would REALLY help the language to become a 'living' language, or one that could actually be learned and utilized, which is my ultimate goal. However this process is essentially 100% conjecture and speculation on my part, despite that it's all based on the original sources. It's going amazingly well, by the way! Razz But I am still feeling this annoying little twinge of guilt for messing with what could possibly be Luc Besson and Milla Jovovich's original work, and that does NOT sit well with me. But then I think... well, maybe they don't care if I mess with it - I mean, it has been 11 years, and I have tried to contact both of them asking for feedback (that's how I got linked on Milla's site!!) and the other DL sites on the internet have been dropping like flies lately. What do you think? Do I keep going and build the complete dictionary and reference? Or do I submit to my guilt and leave well enough alone? (At this point, I'm not even sure I could do that - this has become something of an obsession for me now - LOL!)

I guess if I decide to continue with this, and perhaps even publish the book that it's all really building up to, I'll just have to make it very clear that this is the Divine Language, as interpreted by me, so there's no assumption that Luc and Milla, or Columbia Pictures, have authorized it. (Copyright infringement is one of my greatest fears, especially since I'm only doing all this out of love and respect for the film and actors).

Please let me know your thoughts, as fellow-fans and followers of my site.

Thanks!

K.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Script, Film and Book Discrepancies   Script, Film and Book Discrepancies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Script, Film and Book Discrepancies
Page 1 of 1