The Divine Language Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Divine Language Forum

A place to meet, ask questions, offer ideas or simply chat about the Fifth Element and the Divine Language.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dictionary Development

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

Dictionary Development Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:10 am

Nice to see another member join up. Welcome, mkb07a. Also nice to hear that there's an update soon, can't wait. Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Thanks so much and WELCOME!!   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Hello mkb07a!

What a lovely message you've left us - thank you so much for your enthusiasm and praise. We have thoroughly enjoyed putting together this site and the complete DL dictionary for all the fellow fans out there, and we certainly hope you enjoy it and can make use of it. Don't forget to download the free EZ Translator and Full Text from the main Contents menu! Smile

I am the webmaster and creator of the 'Divinian' dialect of the Divine Language, so please don't hesitate to contact me any time with questions, comments, ideas or just to say 'Apipoulai!!' My direct email address is kameleon@thedivinelanguage.com.

There haven't been many updates recently, but stay tuned for new words and pronunciations to be posted in the coming weeks!

Domo danko,

T.
Back to top Go down
https://thedivinelanguage.rpg-board.net
mkb07a

PostSubject: Re: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:51 am

Hi! I'll be honest, I don't know how I stumbled upon this webpage, but I'm glad I did- I'm one of those weird people who has this unnatural desire to learn as many languages as humanly possible, and the work that's been put into all this, and a dictionary! is just amazing. I'm truly impressed by the sheer amount of work that's been used here, and while I may not have anything to contribute, I just wanted to say thank you for your work (all of you!), and I figured the best place to say so was on this particular thread.

Thanks again! This is something that just makes me happy to learn.
Back to top Go down
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 10:56 pm

Cool thanks. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: publication problems...   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 2:17 pm

I will definitely still consider the possibility of publishing, and will get quotes from other self-publishers. It's not something that will happen until sometime next year anyways, because I am constantly adding new words to the dictionary. Of course, I will probably always be adding new words, in which case, if I do publish, I'll just offer dictionary supplements following the initial publication. In the mean time, I'm working on a .pdf download of the entire manuscript, OR possibly offering it as an e-book, but I'm still figuring out the logistics of that. Smile But I'll keep everyone posted!

T.
Back to top Go down
Kim

PostSubject: Re: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Agh! That sucks, I was looking forward to owning my own copy. Deos it mean you will have to find another publisher to do so? If you keep creating new words to the dictionary, you may as well wait anyways. I still want t a copy though.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Well, so much for that idea....   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 9:07 pm

So I just got the quote for my Divinian book, and it's totally OUT there! I published a book earlier this year that cost 1/4 what this one is going to cost! I mean, if I went ahead right now, the books would have to sell for $35, totally non-profit, which is a ridiculous price. So... I won't be 'officially' publishing any time in the near future, simply for financial reasons. I considered just printing the full manuscript out and sell it coil bound, but I had the first draft printed this week and just THAT cost me $76, no binding or anything! What's wrong with this picture?? So not really sure what I'm gonna do now... might just end offering the individual chapters as .pdf downloads here on the site... that'd be the most economical approach for everyone! Razz

But the good news is, I think the book is actually DONE! Well, the dictionary will never be finished, and I'm adding new words to it almost daily, but the bulk of the reference sections are, I think, complete! So now it's into the proofing stage, which I'm kinda dreading - not only do I have to make sure I haven't made any typo's in English, but I need to proof all the Divinian words too... BLAH!! The upside is, if I'm not fluent in the language by the end of it, I never will be! LOL!

Okay, I think that's it for updates for tonight. I won't be on much this weekend 'cause the inlaws are visiting. Chat at y'all later!

T.
Back to top Go down
Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth

PostSubject: Re: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 12:39 am

I would definitely be interested in a copy, of course. I'm a sucker for anything The Fifth Element.
Back to top Go down
Kim

PostSubject: Published Dictionary   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 pm

Yes! What a Face AND YOU BETTER SEND ME ONE! lol!

I'm so excited about the entire thing! What a Face I was going to ask you anyway! *doing back flips out of excitement screaming in extreme excitement* lol!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm fairly certain that I said sometime in the last couple weeks that I WASN'T going to add all the new words that I've developed through noun declension and verb tense, etc., to the existing online dictionary... seems to me I said something about it sounding too much like work... and I wonder, as I sit here hour after hour every evening, doing precisely what I said I wasn't going to do, exactly when I lost my mind?? LOL! But I'm about half finished adding all the new words to the English-Divinian dictionary, which I'll post as soon as it's complete, and then I'll start on the Divinan-English dictionary. The D-E will go faster 'cause I don't have all the related words to work around. BUT, what's really kinda groovy about all the work I've been doing, is that it's more than tripled the total number of Divinian words in the dictionary!! My spreadsheet tells me 1213 different words, and that's not counting some of the compound words or any existing phrases that are currently in the dictionary (which I'll be removing and building a separate page for soon). Now, while 1200 words sounds impressive, most of those additional words were developed by building upon their respective root word, and then making some creative and wholly speculative grammatical 'rules' as to how the words will change depending on their usage. For example: a plural or possessive noun will take on the ending -n or -en, as will a third-person, present tense verb (replacing the English counterparts -s, -es, 's or s' in the same context). And past tense verbs and some adjectives will take on the ending -t or -et (replacing the English counterpart -d or -ed). And that was only the beginning. I've come up with Divinian endings for root words for several other common English endings, like -able, -ly, -ish, -er, -est, etc. You can find everything I've come up with so far on the 'Parts of Speech' page under Contents. I'll also be adding a verb table and noun chart for quick reference. Ultimately everything will also be included in the database, but that DEFINITELY sounds too much like work, so I'll get to it when I can. Razz I'm still working on the actual text that encompasses ALL this data, and it's very quickly turning into a publishable book - already over 100 pages, and NOWHERE near being done yet. I'm writing up separate chapters for every part of speech with detailed explanations and examples... wow, I really have lost my mind, haven't I? LOL! So if I actually end up publishing, would anyone be interested in a copy? hehe

Okay, that's it for tonight. Hope to chat with everyone again real soon! Apipoussan!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dictionary Development   Dictionary Development Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dictionary Development
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Divine Language Forum :: Divine News & Updates! :: Language Discussions-
Jump to: